Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 142 adults and 59 children following 58 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- On New Year’s Day the NY Daily News featured two amazing Red Cross volunteers, Phil Cogan and Patti Jones, as part of a special section highlighting NYers who make a difference.
- On New Year’s Eve, Red Cross volunteers weren’t just ringing in the New Year alongside two million+ Times Square revelers, they were also supporting the many brave first responders who were helping keep everyone safe that night with warm drinks and snacks.
- Right before the holidays, we urged New Yorkers to stay safe with these short winter safety videos: pets, travel, fire and cooking.
- To close out the year, we put together the following lists of our most popular stories, videos and photographs of the year:
- Top videos of 2016
- Most-Read Blog Posts of the Year
- Images of 2016: Part 1 and Part 2
- Web story: In Year Marked by Large Disasters, Local Volunteers Answer Call
- Earlier in December, the newspaper Metro NY looked back at a busy year for disasters and highlighted the work of Greater NY Red Cross volunteers.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Jan 3, 5, 6, 9: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.