|A panel discussion with IFRC President Francesco Rocca and Jenelle Eli.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 164 adults and 46 children following 50 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Our Sound the Alarm event last Saturday in NYC was a great success thanks to our volunteers and partners like MIRA USA!
- Check out the fire safety PSA produced by our friends from the Broadway play “Come From Away,” in partnership with FDNY.
- Right before the weekend, News 12 Hudson Valley highlighted Red Cross safety tips to help viewers cope with the heat wave.
- Last Thursday, we were proud to host Francesco Rocca, President, IFRC and the Italian Red Cross, and Jenelle Eli, Sr. Director, Media Relations and International Communications, American Red Cross, for a panel discussion about the Ukraine crisis and global migration.
- Metro New York North Red Cross board members rolled up their sleeves to donate blood at the Jill and John Coyle Blood Donor Center in Greenwich, Conn.
- FOX Weather joined us in Manhattan to help Sound the Alarm to #EndHomeFires. They highlighted the work of Red Cross volunteers helping to make our communities safer. Check out these two great segments featuring our team members Joe Spaccarelli and Bridgette Espinosa,
- Last Wednesday, NYC Councilmember Oswald Feliz joined our teams in NYC taking part in our Sound the Alarm events; installing free smoke alarms and sharing fire safety information with local families.
- Earlier that Wednesday, NBC4 and CBS2 reported the Red Cross assisted neighbors after a fire in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- At the 2022 Long Island Heroes Among Us Gala on September 22, an everyday hero (or group of heroes who acted together) from Long Island will be honored and recognized. There’s still time for you to nominate someone for consideration! Deadline for nominations: Monday, May 30, 2022. Nominate a Hero today!
- May 24: Join us for a special preparedness presentation: Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes co-hosted by Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson, with special guests NYC Councilmember Althea Stevens, NY State Senator Jose M. Serrano and NY State Assembly Member Amanda Septimo.
- May 25: Join us for a special preparedness presentation: Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes, co-hosted by Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson with special guests NYC Councilmember Rafael Salamanca Jr., NY State Senator Luis R. Sepulveda and NY State Assembly Member Kenny Burgos.
- Blood Donors have chance to win a VIP trip to Graceland by donating in June.