|Red Cross Volunteers and Pet Therapy dogs at the Intrepid to welcome services members for Fleet Week.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 99 adults and 32 children following 42 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- For Memorial Day Weekend, Red Crossers participated in activities throughout the region honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice as well as current service members.
- Service to the Armed Forces volunteers and pet therapy dogs from Hudson Valley Paws for Cause were at the Intrepid this weekend for Fleet Week, welcoming service members and teaching CPR to passerbys.
- Placed flags at the Calverton Cemetery on Long Island.
- Marched in the Memorial Day Parade in Mt. Vernon.
- The Long Island Red Cross participated in the Bethpage Air Show practice.
- Metro NY North CEO Stephanie Dunn Ashley wrote about supporting military families in honor of Military Appreciation Month in her monthly column for the Greenwich Sentinel.
- Also on Saturday, the Metro NY North Red Cross tabled the Greenwich Town Party with other non-profit organizations. A parade kicked-off the event earlier in the week.
- We celebrated Red Cross volunteer nurses for National Nurse Month at the Disaster Health Services meeting.
- Our Government Liaison team met with newly elected Senator Iwen Chu and Assemblyman Steven Raga on the same day to discuss Red Cross work in their communities and future partnership opportunities.
- We spotlighted volunteer Bown Yu for raising his hand to deploy to the disaster relief operation underway in Guam after Typhoon Mawar devastated the region.
- Disaster Cycle Services held their bi-annual meeting at the Tarrytown Senior Center and GNY HQ to share ideas, get to know one another, and celebrate the work of volunteers.
- NY State Assembly Member Dana Levenberg is helping to “Sound the Alarm” about home fires with this PSA.
- Be a part of Red Cross history! Honor your loved ones by purchasing a commemorative brick at our Metro NY North Headquarters in Greenwich, Conn.
- June 5-9, 12-16: Safety Town is a comprehensive one-week safety education program offered every summer by the American Red Cross Metro NY North Chapter that teaches awareness and accident prevention skills to children entering kindergarten in the fall. This event will be hosted in person in 2023.
- June 8: Join us for the Women Who Lead Luncheon by the Tiffany Circle of Women Leaders. This year’s panel will feature women in sports. Purchase tickets here.