|Sound the Alarm in Manhattan (Photos: Eric Strausman)|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 145 adults and 54 children following 42 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Last Saturday, the Long Island Red Cross held a shelter drill at the Brentwood West Middle School.
- Thanks to everyone who helped make Sound the Alarm NYC 2023 a success last Wednesday! More than 80 volunteers came together to help #endhomefires!
- Last week, we welcomed Fatima from Cruz Roja Española to our NYC office. We shared stories of how our chapters support communities during emergencies and promised to visit if we are ever in Spain.
- The Long Island Red Cross Disaster Action Team responded to a multi-family fire on Leahy Avenue in Brentwood. Seven adults and seven children received direct client assistance.
- Continuing to celebrate #AAPIHeritageMonth, we posted a story featuring Red Cross volunteer Shah Khan who is a medical student and Disaster Action Team supervisor and has been with the Red Cross since 2016.
- NY State Assemblyman Matt Slater is helping to “Sound the Alarm” with this PSA.
- Last week, Veronica Beard hosted our Red & White Ball Wrap Party, featuring delicious treats from the Habitual Hostess.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- As more people rely on the American Red Cross for help, the need for compassionate volunteers has never been greater. Join our disaster team and make a difference in people’s lives.
- May 24: War. War never changes. The art of war & video games. Join the Red Cross for a journey through iconic gaming moments to learn how the law of war works.
- May 25: Wartime Protection of the Environment, Part II: Exploring Issues. In Part II of this new series, we use the recently adopted UN International Law Commission’s Principles on Protection of the Environment in Armed Conflict (PERAC) as a backdrop to explore the issues created in the cross-sections between climate change, environmental degradation and conflict before, during and after the conflict.
- June 5-9, 12-16: Safety Town is a comprehensive one-week safety education program offered every summer by the American Red Cross Metro NY North Chapter that teaches awareness and accident prevention skills to children entering kindergarten in the fall. This event will be hosted in person in 2023.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.