|Red Cross volunteers worked to distribute care packages to those working at |
Coney Island Hospital, as part of the NYC Healthcare Heroes Initiative. (Photo: Sanasa Kaba)
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 76 adults and 17 children following 43 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week In Review
- Last Friday, our volunteers worked to distribute care packages to hospital workers at Coney Island Hospital as part of the NYC Healthcare Heroes Initiative.
- The National RedCrossChat blog released a profile of one of our own Disaster Cycle Services volunteers, Hannah Simpson, to celebrate Pride Month.
- Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins co-hosted a special emergency preparedness presentation for her constituents, alongside MNYN CEO Stephanie Dunn Ashley.
- To celebrate National Bring Your Pet to Work week, Red Cross members shared photos with their furry and feathered friends.
- Last Thursday, the Greater New York logistics team held a Hands-On Trailer Towing Training Workshop.
- Red Cross featured volunteer Maria Anguiano’s story; after her parents recovered from COVID-19 with the help of hospital workers, she insisted on supporting the NYC Healthcare Heroes Initiative.
- Red Cross helped several residents affected by a fire on 140th Ave in Queens.
- Volunteers from the Greater New York region passed the torch to join in the worldwide celebration of Solferino 2020.
- Last Tuesday, we shared a new podcast episode featuring three experts who discuss kids, coronavirus, and preparedness.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Blood Donor Screener, Disaster Spiritual Care Team Member, Disability Integration Program Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- July 8, 15, 22, 29: Pillowcase Project is a virtual online program that teaches children on how to prepare for emergencies. Register for an online session here.
- June 30: Senator Anna Kaplan is co-hosting a special emergency preparedness presentation for her constituents. Register for the session here.
- July 9, 14, 20, 21, 23, 28: Prepare, Respond, Recover in a free virtual online training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.
- June 30: Join us for a Missing Maps event to mobilize volunteers all over the world to build maps that can be used in disaster response, public health campaigns, and other forms of humanitarian assistance. Register on Volunteer Connection here (Red Cross Volunteers Only)