|Kevin Rivera was honored with the Good Samaritan Hero Award at the
Long Island Red Cross Heroes Celebration. (Photo: John Eng)
Over the last seven days, the Red Cross in Greater New York has provided emergency assistance to 102 adults and 39 children following 40 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- At the Long Island Heroes Celebration, we honored several local heroes for their contributions to the Long Island community
- Kevin Rivera was given the 2023 Good Samaritan Hero Award for his bravery in rescuing a family of six from a house fire while on his Amazon delivery route.
- We presented the Humanitarian Award to The Donno Family for their personal and financial generosity and sacrifice, and their continued efforts to make a difference in the lives of others. Read about them in the Manhasset Times.
- Jim Dodge, CFO of First Quality Enterprises with our Corporate Leadership Award
- Check out our photo gallery for the event here.
- Check out some fire prevention safety tips from Metro NY North Chapter CEO (and volunteer firefighter) Stephanie Dunn Ashley in her monthly column for the Greenwich Sentinel.
- Last Thursday, News 12 Brooklyn covered our press conference with FDNY and the FDNY Foundation to help spread the word about our partnership to install free smoke alarms in the community through the Sound The Alarm initiative.
- We posted this fun fact from our Mineola archives about an historic doll once used to raise money for the Long Island Chapter during World War II.
- Have you spotted our #causecontainer? Post a photo of it with the hashtag and the Hub Group will make a donation to the Red Cross!
- Last week, we continued to work with the NYC Administration for Children's Services to provide safety tips for a safe Halloween!
- Patch promoted our Halloween blood drive at the New Rochelle Library.
- Nov 2: The next installment of our ongoing “We Were There” panel series will focus on our response to 9/11. Register to attend in-person or via Zoom.
- Nov 11: The Idea Kitchen is hosting a blood drive in Larchmont, NY. Schedule an appointment here.
- Dec 2 (Rescheduled): At Prepare the Town: Mount Vernon, the American Red Cross and the City of Mount Vernon want to help prepare you and your community for emergencies, including home fires. Join us for free giveaways, demonstrations, veterans' resources, and other safety activities!