|Families of service members build comfort kits for their loved ones and other veterans.
Last Week in Review
- Our thoughts went to family, friends and the City of Mount Vernon on Sunday morning after a tragic fire in the area. The Red Cross was there behind the scene with the family providing care, comfort and compassion.
- On Saturday, families of servicemen and women who were recently deployed to the Middle East gathered at the chapter to build comfort kits for their loved ones as well as get a briefing of Red Cross services available to them.
- Also on Saturday, Red Cross Volunteers, as part of the #GetAlarmedNYC campaign installed 83 free smoke alarms in 47 homes throughout Jackson Heights, Queens.
- Week after week, we continue to train to be prepared for disasters. 50 dedicated volunteers packed into our Hawthorne office for an all-day Facilities Management Training Workshop.
- With a new generation of Pokémon out on the loose for the popular mobile app Pokémon Go, we asked players be mindful of their safety while playing with this video.
- On Thursday, Red Crossers taught emergency preparedness skills to members of the Forever Young Social Club in the Bronx.
- On Wednesday, 65 Red Cross Clubs members took part in a “Mapathon” that mapped over 10,500 structures for the city of Blantyre, Malawi.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Feb 28, Mar 2, 3: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Mar 4: Metro New York North Red Cross will be holding its annual Volunteer Recognition Event at the Anthony's Pier 9 in New Windsor, NY.
- Mar 6: The Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross is a free 2-hour class that describes the history of these Principles that guide the work and decisions of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. RSVP today to learn more about this vital international component of the Red Cross.
- Mar 23: Please join us at the American Red Cross for a panel discussion, HEALTH CARE IN DANGER - Violence Against Medical Assistance in Armed Conflict, featuring a distinguished group of panelists. This event is part of an international public awareness campaign spearheaded by the International Committee of the Red Cross in 2011 to address this violence and ensure safe access to and delivery of health care in armed conflict and other emergencies. RSVP here today.