|Red Cross Fire Safety Teams in Brooklyn educating residents about fire safety after a major fire.
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, our teams were in Staten Island installing free smoke alarms, making the community safer and helping to #EndHomeFires.
- Long Island volunteers worked into the night to help dozens of residents after a senior apartment building fire in Hempstead. We provided a safe shelter to stay with snacks, blankets, information, and health assistance.
- Renown broadcast journalist Ashleigh Banfield joins the American Red Cross Greater New York Board of Directors.
- As part of our "Three Questions With..." blog series, we caught up with NYC-based IT Specialist Andy Li who recently joined the International Disaster Response Delegate team.
- As the NY Daily News reported, early Wednesday morning the Red Cross helped four families left homeless by a multiple-alarm fire on Coney Island Ave. in Brooklyn. Later that day, our fire safety team visited the affected neighborhood to educate residents and sign people up for free smoke alarm installations.
- This week’s #MyRedCrossLife Instagram post is about long-time volunteer Celia Vollmer and what her first disaster response was like.
- Celia also taught Red Cross Babysitting skills to an amazing group of teens from Wyandanch on Long Island.
- Over the course of two days, the Red Cross supported the search and rescue operation in Orange County.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- The American Red Cross is partnering with KIND Snacks to encourage New Yorkers to donate blood. Blood donations are needed year-round—one pint can save up to three lives! We’re holding drives at our NYC Headquarters (520 W 49th Street) on Sat 8/25 from 9am-2pm; Mon 8/27, Tues 8/28, and Fri 8/31 from 2pm-7pm. Donors will receive a #KindAwesome card for their kind act, which is good for 2 complimentary KIND bars, while supplies last. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Oct 10: Join us for the annual American Red Cross: Heroes Among Us gala at the Ziegfeld Ballroom to celebrate the civic leaders and heroic individuals who embody our humanitarian mission.
- Nov 4: The American Red Cross Greater New York Region is proud to Run for the Red in November at the TCS New York City Marathon. Come be a part of Team Red Cross and sign up by Thursday, September 13! Space is limited, so secure your spot today! For more information, contact Bob Estremera at NYCmarathon@redcross.org or 212-875-2091.