|Long Island Red Cross staff receiving a proclamation from |
Nassau County Executive Laura Curran as part of Red Cross month.
Last Week in Review
- On Saturday, ABC7, as well as multiple other outlets, reported on a massive fire in a Melville apartment complex that displaced more than 50 people from their homes. Red Cross volunteers were on scene providing food, comfort, and other aid to those affected.
- Also on Saturday night (and well into Sunday), Red Cross volunteers were providing relief to dozens of residents displaced by a large apartment fire in East Northport.
- Over the weekend, the national Red Cross Facebook page featured our partnership with WIN, the largest provider of shelter housing for homeless families in NYC. Through this ongoing collaboration, Red Cross teaches emergency preparedness to kids and their parents.
- On Friday, STARTEK Global invited the Red Cross to ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange!
- On Friday morning, Red Cross partnered with PSEG Long Island to install free smoke alarms in homes in and around Central Islip. Check out this FIOS1 story about the event as well as these photos.
- Nassau County Executive Laura Curran presented the American Red Cross on Long Island with an official Red Cross Month proclamation.
- On Thursday, Red Cross Mass Care Program Manager Brain Gerber presented at the Multi-Agency Feeding Summit. He discussed mass care preparations for the next hurricane season.
- On Wednesday, the Red Cross met with Congressman Adriano Espaillat to record a PSA as part of the Sound the Alarm Campaign to #EndHomeFires. Thank you to him for his partnership!
- On the same day, the Long Island Red Cross held their quarterly All Hands meeting at the Middle Country Public Library.
- Tuesday afternoon, Newsday reported on a fire that broke out in Brentwood that left 15 people homeless. Red Cross quickly responded and provided aid to the victims.
- On Monday, CEO Neela Lockel and Communications Officer Mike de Vulpillieries met with WBLI and WBAB to talk about Red Cross Month. Click here to listen to their interview.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Our Summer 2019 Unpaid Internship Program is open for applications! Red Cross Internships are a rare opportunity to explore and enrich your future career prospects while serving others. Our 10-week Summer Program is open to undergraduate or graduate students. The Program starts Monday, June 3rd. Click here to apply.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Screener, Home Fire Campaign Team Member, Disaster Action Team Member, and Community Preparedness Education Program Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 26, 29, & April 1: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- March 27: Once a year, Giving Day brings Red Cross supporters together to help families who have been impacted by a home fire or other disaster. Together we provide urgently needed Red Cross services to help them get back on their feet. You can participate by making a financial donation on Giving Day, or you can spread the word through your network.
- March 28-31: This year, the American Red Cross in Greater New York will be hosting the 4th Annual Disaster Ready Summit, a multiple-day training event held annually for anyone and everyone who wants to learn how to help the American Red Cross respond to disasters in their communities. Sign up here.
- May 1: Every day seven people die in home fires and the Red Cross wants to do everything we can to prevent these needless tragedies. Red Cross in Greater New York will be hosting Sound the Alarm events at locations in Manhattan from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Please sign up to volunteer.