|Red Crossers enjoying Mets game courtesy of LI Red Cross Board Member Ming Chiang.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 96 adults and 37 children for 42 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Since late last week the Greater NY Red Cross has been supporting our organization’s response to Hurricane Ida. Learn more about the response to this devastating storm.
- Over the weekend, News 12 spoke to LI Red Cross volunteer Bruce Vesloski on his way down to the Gulf in a Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicle.
- CBS New York was among many news outlets who spoke to our Red Cross colleagues from Greater NY about Hurricane Ida.
- A big THANK YOU to Long Island board member Ming Chiang for inviting our volunteers to enjoy Taiwan Day at Citi Field for a Mets game.
- Thank you Bruce and Bob for their hard work readying our cots (used in advance of Tropical Storm Henri) for the next major disaster.
- Last week we released the second episode of our third podcast season featuring a few volunteers who joined the Red Cross in the wake of 9/11. The episode is also available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and iHeart by search “Red Cross NY.”
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Sign up to donate blood during the 20th Anniversary 9/11 Week of Remembrance Blood Drives:
- Sept 7: American Red Cross in Greater NY HQ, 520 W 49th Street, New York, NY
- Sept 8: Adam Clayton Powell Building, 163 W 125th Street #508, New York, NY
- Sept 8: Paramount Hudson Valley, 1008 Brown Street, Peekskill, NY
- Sept 8: Stamford Church of Christ, 1264 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT
- Sept 10: The City of White Plains ,
- Sept 10: YMCA of Greenwich, 50 East Putnam Avenue, Greenwich, CT
- Sept 8: We’re livestreaming an online disaster preparedness seminar in partnership with NY State Senator Phil Boyle.
- Sept 13: Free Virtual CPR & AED Training with NY State Senators Kaplan & Kaminsky.
- Sept 14: Learn about our many volunteer opportunities and how you can apply by attending our Disaster Volunteer Information Session livestream.
- Sept 15, 29: Join us for a virtual preparedness presentation--Prepare, Respond and Recover: What to do when disaster strikes—in partnership with NY State Senator Anthony Palumbo and NY State Rep. Harry Arora.
- We’re looking for two full-time NYC Civic Corps members: Regional Youth Coordinator and Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (includes paid-stipend, health insurance, transportation and more)
- We’re looking for volunteers to help staff disaster shelters, with a specific need for health professionals. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact email@example.com.