|Red Cross distributing clean-up kits in Staten Island and Mamaronek after Hurricane Henri. (Photo: Eli Dardis)|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 121 adults and 37 children for 62 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Thank you to all our volunteers who answered the call over the past several days and supported our Henri relief operation, by staging supplies and setting up shelters in advance of the storm.
- Yesterday, Red Cross volunteers distributed clean-up kits in Staten Island and Mamaronek after localized flooding due to Tropical Storm Henri.
- Saturday evening, we opened six shelters on Long Island in advance of the storm. We had many more on standby.
- Early morning yesterday, our very own Metro NY North CEO Stephanie Dunn Ashley gave an early morning update to News 12 Westchester on the response to Hurricane Henri.
- Late last week, our colleagues Craig Cooper and Liz Barker spoke with KJOY FM on Long Island about the need for volunteers.
- Last Friday, we posted a news story about Ethan Chiu, a rising high school senior recently appointed to the American Red Cross National Youth Council.
- On #WorldHumanitarianDay, we once again recognized Dr. Joseph Prewitt Diaz and his decades of service by sharing our recent podcast conversation with him.
- From August 7-14, the Greater NY Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces Team supported the 40th Annual National Veterans Wheelchair Games in New York City. Our volunteer photographer Kevin Suttlehan captured these amazing photographs.
- Last Monday, we held a Facebook livestream presentation on how to prepare, respond and recover from local emergencies and large-scale disasters in your community, co-hosted by US Congressman Andrew Garbarino.
- We recently launched season three of our podcast! Click here to listen to the first episode. You can also subscribe on iTunes, Spotify and iHeart Radio by searching “Red Cross NY.”
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We’re looking for 2 full-time NYC Civic Corps members: Regional Youth Coordinator and Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (includes paid-stipend, health insurance, transportation and more)
- We’re looking for volunteers to help staff disaster shelters, with a specific need for health professionals. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- The American Red Cross has issued a call for blood. We are experiencing a critical need for blood donors to help us save lives. Find a blood drive near you today.
- Sept 8: We’re livestreaming an online disaster preparedness seminar with NY State Senator Phil Boyle.