Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below.)
Last Week in Review
Last Week in Review
- We dropped the final episode of season two of our podcast, where we talked to Dr. Joseph Prewitt Diaz about his unique role supporting communities around the world during the pandemic. You can also listen to the podcast on iTunes and Spotify.
- The Greenwich Sentinel reported that the grand reopening of the Metro NY North Red Cross Headquarters in Greenwich has been set for September 23.
- The Patch is promoting blood donation with the Red Cross amid a nationwide blood shortage, publishing list of upcoming drives in and around New York City (including in Greenwich).
- Last week marked the 31st anniversary of the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We honored the date by posting a series of special content throughout the week, including this Red Cross Ready PSA in ASL and an interview with Chris Higgins, a Red Cross employee who spoke candidly about life with a disability.
- We co-hosted two Hands Only CPR livestreams last week with local elected officials: NY State Assemblywoman Jenifer Rajkumar on July 26 and NY State Senator Elijah Reichlin-Meinick on July 27.
- We gave a shoutout to Lori-Ann Pizzarelli, yet another Red Cross volunteer who passed her Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV) road test. She’s now a member of our team of volunteers ready to take one of our ERVs out to a local disaster at a moment’s notice.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- August 2, 3, 10: We’re co-hosting a series of online disaster preparedness seminars this August with Greenwich Selectwoman Lauren Rabin on the 2nd, NY State Assemblyman Chris Burdick on the 3rd, and Assemblyman Mike Lawier on the 10th.
- August 17: Join us for a virtual informational session on volunteering with the Red Cross of Greater New York. Get your tickets and save your spot by signing up on our Eventbrite page.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Preparedness Team members, Disaster Action team members and Disaster Workforce Engagement members. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.