|Red Cross Volunteers and Partners installing free smoke alarms in Flushing over the weekend.|
Last Week in Review
- As reported by AM New York: we had a great Saturday in Flushing, Queens installing free smoke alarms in area homes to help #EndHomeFires. THANK YOU to our Long Island board member Ming Chiang for bringing together volunteers from the Taiwanese American community to help educate all about fire safety.
- The day before, working with several different partners, our teams installed smoke alarms in Port Washington.
- On Friday, the Red Cross responded to a tragic fire in Brooklyn and assisted multiple families.
- Red Cross Volunteer Carlos Menendez talked about his most challenging experience after Hurricane Maria in our latest #MyRedCrossLife Instagram post.
- We sat down with ECC Dispatcher Karenine Leveque as part of our new blog series “Three Questions with…” to get an inside look on how the Red Cross responds to local disasters.
- Dressed as Captain America, our regional CEO Josh Lockwood "heroically" accepted an award at a National Red Cross conference for successfully engaging thousands of volunteers.
- Our Development Team did just that last week, working with CBS Cares to digitally map unmapped, vulnerable parts of the globe as part of the Missing Map Project.
- NYC Reporter Jill Nicolini recently stopped by our offices to tape a segment for the PIX11 Honors series highlighting all the great work we do for the community.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Aug 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan and other locations. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Aug 26: We will partner with the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and FDNY Foundation to help "Sound the Alarm" by installing free smoke alarms in Staten Island. Learn more by clicking here.
- Oct 10: Join us for the annual American Red Cross: Heroes Among Us Gala at the Ziegfeld Ballroom to celebrate the civic leaders and heroic individuals who embody our humanitarian mission.
- Nov 4: The American Red Cross Greater New York Region is proud to Run for the Red in November at the TCS New York City Marathon. Come be a part of Team Red Cross and sign up by Thursday, September 13! Space is limited, so secure your spot today! For more information, contact Bob Estremera at NYCmarathon@redcross.org or 212-875-2091.