|A moment from our Long Island Red Cross Heroes Among Us Gala, |
that celebrated our mission and partners who made our work possible.
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 93 adults and 62 children following 43 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week In Review
- We wish Red Cross fathers everywhere a happy Father’s Day!
- To celebrate World Refugee Day 2020 on Saturday, the American Red Cross in Greater New York supported the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music and its partnership of amazing organizations supporting refugees to host the 4th World Refugee Day Festival!
- Last Thursday, we hosted a virtual edition of our Long Island Red Cross Heroes Among Us Gala, celebrating our mission and the extraordinary work of our partners who make our work possible. Congrats again to our Heroes Among Us Gala honorees!
- Senator Kevin Thomas and Long Island CEO Neela Mukherjee Lockel hosted our informative emergency preparedness program.
- Red Cross helped families affected by a multiple-alarm fire on E. 142 St in the Bronx.
- Last Monday, the American Red Cross in Greater New York hosted a press conference at their Mineola office to talk about hurricane preparedness amid COVID-19. Check out this coverage from Newsday and the LI Herald.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Blood Donor Screener, Disaster Spiritual Care Team Member, Disability Integration Program Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- June 24, July 8, 15, 22, 29: Pillowcase Project is a virtual online program that teaches children on how to prepare for emergencies. Register for an online session here.
- June 24: Senator John Brooks is co-hosting a special emergency preparedness presentation for her constituents. Register for the session here.
- June 25: Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins is co-hosting a special emergency preparedness presentation for her constituents. Register for the session here.
- June 30, July 9, 14, 20, 21, 23, 28: Prepare, Respond, Recover in a free virtual online training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.
- June 30: Join us for a Missing Maps event to mobilize volunteers all over the world to build maps that can be used in disaster response, public health campaigns, and other forms of humanitarian assistance. Register on Volunteer Connection here (Red Cross Volunteers Only)