|Eight of our Red Cross team members traveled to Texas and Louisiana|
when the Tropical Storm Cristobal hit to help those in need. (Photo: Lenia Kiki)
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 71 adults and 21 children following 36 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week In Review
- The Red Cross strongly rejects hate, racism, violence and bigotry of any kind.
- Last Friday, Lenia Ahmed Kiki and seven other Red Cross team members traveled to Texas and Louisiana to help prepare to support families who may be impacted by Tropical Storm Cristobal.
- Last Thursday, Red Cross helped residents affected by a 2-alarm fire on 158th St. in Manhattan.
- PIX 11 spoke to our interim CEO Susan Rounds about hurricane preparedness and how the Red Cross has adapted to COVID-19.
- The NY Times reported that the Red Cross warns of a staggering drop in blood supplies due to social distancing and stay-at-home orders.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Blood Donor Screener, Disaster Spiritual Care Team Member, Disability Integration Program Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- June 10, 17, 24: Pillowcase Project Virtual Sessions: The goal of this program is to help create a generation of children empowered to take action preparing for emergencies. Register for an online session here.
- June 11, 16, 25, 30: Online preparedness: In partnership with New York State, the Red Cross is providing free online training on how to prepare for natural and man-made disasters. Register for an online session here.
- June 11: The Red Cross has scheduled a blood drive in Larchmont NY
- June 15: The Long Island Red Cross is hosting its annual Gala: Heroes Among Us 2020 virtually this year.
- June 16: The Red Cross and State Senator Kevin Thomas are hosting the virtual event Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes
- June 17: Tiffany Circle of Women Leaders presents Delivering Our Humanitarian Mission Through the COVID-19 Pandemic and Civil Unrest, featuring Red Cross President and CEO, Gail McGovern