|DJ David Guetta and NYC First Lady Chirlane McCray came out to support NYC Healthcare Heroes at Harlem Hospital.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 62 adults and 17 children following 33 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week In Review
- Last week, Red Cross volunteers continued handing out care packages to hospital workers as part of the Healthcare Heroes Initiative. They were at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx and Jamaica Hospital in Queens. On Friday, we were joined by David Guetta and NYC’s First Lady to hand out bags of supplies to frontline healthcare workers at Harlem Hospital.
- The Red Cross helped transport and distribute countless boxes of food and fresh produce that were donated by No Limit Auto Body to over 100 families.
- Last Thursday, we posted this special “thank you” video from the senior leadership team to show appreciation to volunteers, blood donors and Red Cross supporters.
- We posted a new story on our blog about how Red Cross volunteers Celia and Edras helped bring the community together to help Long Island resident Josselyn and her family recover from home fire amid COVID-19.
- Red Cross team members helped families from home fires in Dix Hill and on Amboy Road in Staten Island.
- Earlier in the week, LI Red Cross CEO Neela Lockel spoke to NPR affiliate WSHU about our virtual Family Assistance Center.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer position: Blood Donor Screener, Disaster Spiritual Care Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- June 3, 10, 17, 24: The goal of the Pillowcase Project Virtual Sessions is to help create a generation of children empowered to take action preparing for emergencies. Register for an online session here.
- June 2, 11, 16, 25, 30: In partnership with New York State, the Red Cross is providing free online training on how to prepare for natural and man-made disasters. Register for an online session here.
- June 11: The Red Cross has scheduled a blood drive in Larchmont NY
- June 15: The Long Island Red Cross is hosting its annual Gala: Heroes Among Us 2020 virtually this year.
- June 16: The Red Cross and Senator Kevin Thomas are hosting the virtual event Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes