Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 170 adults and 58 children following 60 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Last Tuesday, Mt. Vernon Mayor Shawyn Patterson-Howard thanked the Red Cross for helping setup a reception center and supporting 17 families displaced by a fire. CBS NY and Patch.com also reported on the fire.
- Last Friday, Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson and GNY volunteers installed free smoke alarms and provided fire safety education in the Bronx.
- Last week, two ribbon cutting ceremonies were held on the same day for the QBE Foundation Client Consultation Room and the Tess Sheil Café.
- The Long Island Red Cross assisted 4 families after a fire in Brentwood (Suffolk County).
- American Red Cross in Greater New York Region team along with the City of New Rochelle, NY government agencies and community partners came together to install free smoke alarms and sharing fire safety information in area homes in New Rochelle!
- Checking in with our GNY teammates who are deployed to support communities affected by tornadoes in Arkansas courtesy of photos from Vivian Moy.
- National Red Cross featured our very own 4-legged volunteer Mayhem on their social channels! Mayhem is a 2-year-old American Bulldog who serves as a therapy dog for the Greater NY Region.
- During the Red Cross Northeast Division meeting, GNY Region received an award for demonstrating creativity and collaboration in the creation of the Kid Kit, a relief pack designed to support children after an emergency.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Volunteers are needed to help comfort and support people who are forced from their homes due to fires, storms, and other emergencies, so they don’t have to face tough times alone. Join the American Red Cross Disaster Team!
- May 18: Spring into Action! Join Us at our Volunteer Information Session to learn about how you can make a difference!,
- June 5-9, 12-16: Safety Town is a comprehensive one-week safety education program offered every summer by the American Red Cross Metro NY North Chapter that teaches awareness and accident prevention skills to children entering kindergarten in the fall. This event will be hosted in person in 2023.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.