Friday, September 21, 2012
If you asked me my name, I couldn’t tell you.
Disbelief … shock … sadness.
Sandra Simpson felt all these emotions while watching her basement become engulfed in flames on Labor Day 2012, then watching those flames leap to the first, and then the second, floor of her single-family, three-story home in Cambria Heights, New York.
The fire began when new bars were installed on the house’s basement windows. Without the welders’ knowledge, an errant spark had travelled into the basement, setting it afire. After the welders left, Simpson’s husband, who had gone outside to get the car, called his wife on his cell.
“Do you smell smoke?” he said.
Sandra Simpson, Queens, N.Y.