|"Kicking off another intense day in Las Vegas where trained Red Crossers are providing support in a Family Assistance Center, hospitals, vigils, and in homes where survivors are too traumatized to leave their homes.” -Josh Lockwood|
Last Week in Review
- Our regional CEO Josh Lockwood is in Las Vegas, along with local NY Red Crossers to provide emotional support and services to survivors and families at the family assistance center and during memorials and vigils in the wake of the shooting last Sunday. Long Islander News interviewed Tom Hlenski, one of the volunteers deployed to Las Vegas.
- We have deployed over 243 local staff members (employees and volunteers) from the Greater NY region to the hurricane responses in Texas, the US Virgin Islands, Orlando, Florida, Georgia, and Puerto Rico. 17 workers have deployed for a second time and 92 people remain assigned to operations. All others have completed their assignments.
- For a more personal look into these historic disaster responses, please follow: Daniel Delgado, William Crespo, Maria Millan, Doug Bainton/DART and Brian Gerber.
- Red Crosser Michael de Vulpillieres shares a closer look of our response in SW Florida three weeks after Irma’s landfall. In this post, a recipient of Red Cross services thanks all of our volunteers who are working tirelessly to help out those in need.
- Port Washington Yacht Club hosted their annual Charity Cup Fundraiser to assist in disaster relief! Thanks to all those who came out to support!
- The Town of Babylon hosted a benefit concert for hurricane relief at Overlook Beach on Sunday!
- Last Wednesday, our Metro New York North Disaster Responders supported five displaced families and worked side by side with our partners after a fire in Mount Vernon.
- On October 1, we responded to a five-alarm fire in the Soundview section of the Bronx. We were able to care for approximately 100+ residents and their pets by way of food, housing and financial assistance.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Oct 9, 11, 12, 13: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Oct 11: The American Red Cross Gala will recognize civic leaders and local heroes at the Museum of Natural History.
- Nov 5: Cheer on Amanda and Team Red Cross as they run the TCS NYC Marathon to benefit disaster relief.