Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 92 adults and 29 children following 37 disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (see below)
Last Week in Review
- On Wednesday Mike Tirico hosted the annual Red Cross Gala, honoring civic leaders and local heroes. Thank you to all our sponsors, who have supported this organization in making a difference around the globe during and after disasters. A highlight of the night included Aaron Sorkin honoring Private Emmanuel Mensah posthumously with ARC’s Local Hero Award. Among other honorees were Hearst for their humanitarian work, Macy’s for their corporate leadership, and IBM for 100 years of partnership. Special guests included actress Brenda Vaccaro and artist Gavin Degraw, who made this night unforgettable.
- American Red Cross volunteers are on the ground helping people who have been impacted by Hurricane Michael. On Friday, almost 2,900 people stayed in as many as 37 Red Cross community evacuation centers across Florida, Georgia and Alabama. ARC has served 30,000 snacks and is working with partners to start serving tens of thousands of hot meals each day. Click here to read more and learn how you can help!
- On Friday American Red Cross participated at the Baldwin fire department open house, signing up members of the community for free smoke alarm installations.
- On Thursday morning, MNYN volunteers were on scene in Monticello providing financial assistance, referrals, and support to ten families who have been displaced due to a water condition.
- ARC’s John Waldman met with Councilman Justin Brannan at City Hall on Thursday and is excited to announce the councilman’s partnership with the American Red Cross in Greater New York to deliver vital services to the community.
- The Red Cross team attended the FDNY annual memorial service on Riverside Drive on Wednesday.
- Last Monday The American Red Cross committed $1 million to aid communities impacted by earthquakes and tsunami in Indonesia.
Upcoming Events Activities
- Oct 15, 19: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- Oct 21: We will partner with the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and FDNY Foundation to help "Sound the Alarm" by installing free smoke alarms in Brooklyn. Learn more by clicking here.