|Red Cross Volunteers gathered together to install smoke alarms in Long Beach homes on the anniversary of Superstorm Sandy|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 104 adults and 27 children for 41 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- We recently shared many tips and tricks for Halloween safety!
- Last Saturday, Red Cross volunteers, as well as the Manager of the City of Long Beach Donna Gayden, got together for the anniversary of Superstorm Sandy to install smoke alarms in Long Beach homes and to provide CPR education at the town hall plaza.
- Sue, a disaster volunteer from our area, recently shared her experience aiding those affected by Hurricane Ian after its one-month mark.
- On Friday, our Pillowcase Project team went to PS 23 in the Bronx to educate 164 students on emergency safety!
- LongIsland.com recently reported on New York State Senator Anna Kaplan’s partnership with the American Red Cross to provide families with free smoke alarms.
- On Wednesday, the Byram Fire House and our home fire team registered people for free smoke alarm installations and provided fire safety education.
- Last week, we reflected on the 10-year anniversary of Superstorm Sandy and shared videos about how the Greater NY Red Cross prepared, set up shelters and fanned out across the region to help those in need.
- At the Hurricane Sandy 10-Year Anniversary Resilient Rockaway Panel Discussion, the Greater NY Red Cross shared preparedness tips and emergency training with many NY elected officials.
- Now more than ever, dedicated and passionate civic leaders are needed to serve the Red Cross. Apply to begin a full-time AmeriCorps service year with us.
- Nov 5: Interfaith Blood Drive at the First Presbyterian Church, 1 West Putnam Ave., Greenwich, Conn. For an appointment, please visit redcrossblood.org.
- Nov 6: Cheer on Team Red Cross when they run the TCS New York City Marathon on Sunday to benefit the Red Cross. Learn about the runners and how you can support!