Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 129 adults and 41 children for 49 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- This past weekend, volunteers from Red Cross and MIRA USA installed 46 free smoke alarms in Westchester County, as well as educating 16 homes about fire safety.
- Last Friday, the Metro NY Home Fire Team was in Mount Vernon with Board Chair Lisa Cooper and Board Member Ted Berenblum to promote fire safety with special partners.
- The Metro NY North Home Fire Team was also in Greenwich, CT at the Fire Station last Thursday to inform and educate about fire safety within homes.
- We welcomed IFRC’s Permanent Observer to the United Nations Laura Olson to our headquarters to discuss the work of the IFRC, its delegation to the UN, key global initiatives and more.
- Shoutouts to amazing volunteers like Mitch, Kiki, and Anthony from Long Island who are willing to deploy to Florida to help residents recover from Hurricane Ian.
- Last week during Fire Prevention Week, we took part in the Huntington Manor Fire Department Fire Safety Open House to inform residents about overall safety and free smoke alarm installations.
- Last weekend, GNY Volunteers hosted the Youth Climate Summit, with more than 60 volunteers to discuss disaster relief, fire safety, and more. Watch the livestreams of Day 1 and Day 2!
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Now more than ever, dedicated and passionate civic leaders are needed to serve the Red Cross. Apply to begin a full-time AmeriCorps service year with us.
- Make a Difference and Fall into Service this Season. Volunteer Today as a Mass Care Team Member with the American Red Cross. During large disasters, you can support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter. Free online training will be provided, driver’s license preferred. Sign up today.
- Oct 26: Join us for a FREE orientation and learn how you can uncover your inner hero by joining our volunteer team. Multiple opportunities - one lifesaving mission!
- Oct 28: Join us in Spring Valley at 24 Chestnut St. for a Blood Drive sponsored by Office of NYS Senator Elijah Reichlin-Melnick from 10:30am – 4:30pm. Register here.
- Nov 5: Interfaith Blood Drive at the First Presbyterian Church, 1 West Putnam Ave., Greenwich, CT. For an appointment, please visit redcrossblood.org.