|Magnolia, a volunteer supporting the damage assessment team for Hurricane Ian in Florida|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 112 adults and 45 children following 42 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, members of the Long Island Disaster Action Team and Emergency Management team took part in an Active Shooter Drill in New Hyde, NY.
- Last Saturday, students packed 200 "After the Fire" packets for the Long Island Red Cross as part of the Annual Great Give Back event at the Brentwood Library.
- Last week was National Fire Prevention Week, we posted helpful facts, tips, and information about escaping fires.
- FDNY DART member Richard Marucheau received a thoughtful note while providing support and supplies to those affected by Hurricane Ian in Florida.
- More than 1900 Red Crossers are aiding those affected by Ian, like our own local volunteers Lenia, Magnolia and Vivian.
Upcoming Events and Activities:
- Now more than ever, dedicated and passionate civic leaders are needed to serve the Red Cross. Apply to begin a full-time AmeriCorps service year with us.
- Make a Difference and Fall into Service this Season. Volunteer Today as a Mass Care Team Member with the American Red Cross. During large disasters, you can support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter. Free online training will be provided, driver’s license preferred. Sign up today.
- Oct 19, 26: Join us for a FREE orientation and learn how you can uncover your inner hero by joining our volunteer team. Multiple opportunities - one lifesaving mission!
- Nov 5: Interfaith Blood Drive at the First Presbyterian Church, 1 West Putnam Ave., Greenwich, CT. For an appointment, please visit redcrossblood.org.