|Remembering 9/11: Red Cross Volunteers supporting 9/11 emergency workers.|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 49 adults and 18 children following 34 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
The great Joe Spaccarelli giving a little motivation to the runners in the 1st Inaugural Suffolk County Marathon and Half Marathon in Support of Our Veterans!
Posted by Vivian Moy on Sunday, September 13, 2015
- On Sunday, Long Island Red Cross volunteers manned the 15th mile hydration station at the Inaugural Suffolk County Marathon.
- Later Sunday evening, Nancy Soto and other Red Cross volunteers participated in a full-scale training exercise organized by the Port Authority. Outside of the Lincoln Tunnel, they played the role of disaster victims while first responders administered first aid.
- Friday marked the 14th Anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks. We paid tribute to the D.A.R.T. members we lost on that day and after and honored the contributions of Red Cross volunteers who responded to the tragic events.
- Volunteers also handed out refreshments and snacks to attendees of the commemoration event at the 9/11 memorial on Staten Island.
- Also on September 11: As part of a “Day of Service,” volunteers with the United Way of Dutchess--Orange Region as well as employees from the Ball Corporation came to our Middletown warehouse to assist the Metro NY North Red Cross with various logistics projects.
- Long Island Red Cross CEO John Miller also had the opportunity to talk about the importance of preparedness with DJ Orlando on 94.3 The Shark.
- In the middle of the week, the Red Cross held a “Thank You” event for our supporters hosted by Pernod Ricard in New York City.
- Earlier in the week we shared this inspirational portrait and quote from Metro New York North Red Cross volunteer Alex Poku and his son on Instagram.
- The Red Cross was also represented by Alex Lutz at the 9/11 Remembrance Service held at Brooklyn Borough Hall on Wednesday.
- Sept 14 and 16: Red Cross blood drives; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Sept 18 and 25: The American Red Cross, in partnership with the Manhattan VA, will be participating in two "Resume Writing and Job Skills Training" sessions to assist military veterans looking for employment.
- Sept 24-25: For the historic visit of Pope Francis to NYC, Red Cross is looking for volunteers to serve in a variety of functions. These include mental health, health services and mass care. Red Cross volunteers can sign up to participate here.
- Oct 3: Please join us for an unforgettable day as our Home Fire Preparedness Campaign travels to Brooklyn on October 3 to install free smoke alarms and teach fire safety! This is a great way to help the New York City community and to meet other Red Cross volunteers! For Red Cross volunteers, sign up to be an installer, educators/documenter, driver, or logistics/staffing here. Training will be provided.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.