|Last Friday we provided assistance to Chakra, a cute dog affected by a fire in the Bronx.|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 203 adults and 53 children following 57 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Shout out to our Red Cross disaster team members who worked tirelessly through a very busy week. These are some of the emergencies we attended to:
- Wednesday on Long Island, at least 60 people from several families were assisted by our Red Cross teams following a carbon monoxide leak at a Hempstead apartment building. NBC4, CBS2, News12 and Newsday are some of the multiple media outlets that covered the incident.
- After a fire on 5th Avenue in Brooklyn, also on Wednesday, Red Cross assisted three displaced adults.
- On Tuesday, following a 3-alarm fire on Kappock St on the Bronx, our team helped families with housing, financial assistance and other services.
- Red Cross provided housing and support to families displaced by a 5-alarm fire in Rensselaer Avenue on Staten Island last Monday.
- Early Monday, we supported a family displaced by a tragic home fire on Casals Place in the Bronx.
- A Yonkers family was displaced by a fire in their Warburton Ave home. Red Cross provided housing and other relief items and services.
- Over 1,000 earthquakes have hit Puerto Rico during the last month and the American Red Cross has been there to help. Check out this video of our work on the island.
- To honor Martin Luther King Day, we spent the day installing free smoke alarms in Harlem. Thanks to all our volunteers and the amazing group of AmeriCorps NYC Service for joining!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Community Relations Ambassador, Volunteer Recovery Caseworker, Emergency Communications Center, Volunteer Screener. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- Mar 7: Join us at the Orientation and Volunteer Fair Share the Red, which will be held from 10 am to 5 pm in our Greater New York Office.
- Apr 25: Save the Date for the Metro New York North Red and White Ball!