|Red Cross Volunteers helped ring in 2020 in Times Square
(photo: Vivian Moy)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 134 adults and 41 children following 50 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Happy New Year! Thanks to all our volunteers who helped ring in 2020 in Times Square. And if you are looking for New Year’s resolutions, check our volunteer opportunities!
- Our interim CEO Susan Rounds shared with NBC an overview of the work of the Red Cross in 2019 and talked about 2020 priorities.
- 2019 was a busy year for the Red Cross. Check out this interactive map of NYC to see where we have helped over the last year. The Staten Island Advance daily reported about our relief support in the borough.
- NBC4 reported on a 4-alarm fire in Queens on Sunday morning where Red Cross teams assisted displaced families.
- Red Cross team members Desiree Ramos and Joe Spaccarelli visited WBLI 106.1 Radio to talk about disaster response and home fire safety.
- On Christmas Eve, Red Cross responders went to the scene of 10 disasters across the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island and Nassau County. CBS reported on a fire on the Upper East Side where our teams provided support to 10 families.
- For the finale of our inaugural podcast season, we spoke with Rabbi Stephen Roberts about his work providing a safe space for individuals impacted by disasters to recover. For over 20 years, he has been helping people facing trauma and tragedy recover through spiritual care. The entire season is now available.
- We met with the NYS Assembly Speaker Carl E. Heastie Director of Scheduling and gave her the Red Cross Emergency Preparedness display.
- Thanks to the Long Island Herald and the Staten Island Advance for including us in their year-end charity list.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Community Relations Ambassador, Volunteer Recovery Caseworker, Emergency Communications Center, Volunteer Screener. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jan 15: Come to our American Red Cross Long Island office at 6.30 pm to learn about how you can get involved with some of our volunteer opportunities.
- Jan 20: Come join us at the American Red Cross Metro North office in Westchester at 6.30 pm to learn about our many volunteer opportunities.
- Jan 22: Join us at the American Red Cross offices at 6 pm for our NYC Volunteer Orientation.
- Apr 25: Save the Date for the Metro New York North Red and White Ball!