|Red Cross teams assisted in a fire on 9th Ave in Manhattan last Friday.
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 131 adults and 49 children following 58 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Red Cross teams helped a dozen families displaced by a large fire on Findlay Ave in the Bronx late Thursday night/early Friday morning. CBS New York and News12 were among several outlets who reported on it.
- Following a series of earthquakes that stuck off the coast of Puerto Rico and impacted communities across the island, the American Red Cross has been working around the clock to support families. For updates follow the American Red Cross in Puerto Rico on Twitter and Facebook.
- Last week our government and community affairs team met with State Senator Andrew Gournades to discuss Red Cross Emergency Preparedness efforts.
- On Friday, Red Cross volunteers assisted residents impacted by a multiple-alarm fire on 9th Ave in Manhattan and provided emergency housing and financial assistance.
- Earlier in the week, in advance of some severe winter weather threatening parts of the country, our communications officer spoke with Insider about how to stay safe and prepared and what everyday items can be really helpful in such an emergency.
- Thousands of homes have been destroyed or damaged by the historic bushfires in Australia. Follow @RedCrossAU for updates and to learn how you can help.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Home Fire Campaign Team Member, Disaster Health Services Volunteer, Mass Care Team Member and Volunteer Recovery Caseworker.Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jan 15: Come to our American Red Cross Long Island office at 6:30 pm to learn about how you can get involved as a volunteer.
- Jan 20: Come to our American Red Cross Metro NY North office in Hawthorne at 6:30 pm to learn about how you can get involved as a volunteer.
- Jan 22: Come to our American Red Cross regional HQ in Manhattan at 6:00 pm to learn about how you can get involved as a volunteer.
- Apr 25: Save the Date for the Metro New York North Red and White Ball!