|Brooklyn Disaster Action Team in Flatbush (Brooklyn) installing free smoke alarms.|
Last Week in Review
- April 12 to 18 is National Volunteer Week! To celebrate our amazing volunteers from across the Greater New York region, we’ve been asking our volunteers, “what is your Red Cross moment?” Last week, we started posting/sharing those videos with the #RedCrossMoment.
- Over the weekend, our Brooklyn Disaster Action Team volunteers were working hard in Flatbush installing smoke alarms and talking to residents about fire safety. Thank you to all who've supported this life-saving effort!
- Saturday night, dedicated Red Cross volunteers rushed to help families in Spring Valley (Rockland County) displaced by a fire that raged through a 48-unit apartment complex. The Red Cross quickly opened a reception center which transitioned into a shelter. Casework began the next day to help the families start their road to recovery. The shelter remains open.
- Last Wednesday morning, the Red Cross helped nine families left homeless in Crown Heights (Brooklyn) after a fire severely damaged three buildings. Temporary housing and emergency funds for basic necessities were provided to those families.
- On Tuesday, the Red Cross was able to provide emergency housing to 2 displaced families after a fire in Farmingville (Long Island).
- Long Island Red Cross CEO, John Miller, was selected as one of about 35 distinguished community leaders to judge the upcoming Fair Media Council’s annual Folio Awards.
- Apr. 13 & 15: Red Cross blood drive; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Apr. 17: Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) volunteers will be providing comfort kits and information about SAF services to homeless veterans at the Northport VA Medical Center.
- Apr. 18: Red Cross will at the Staten Island Mall talking to shoppers about fire safety. Look for our table by the Starbucks.
- Apr. 18: Red Cross Metro New York North is holding an extensive one-day Disaster Volunteer Institute in Yonkers to help jump start the participation of prospective volunteers. Register today and share this teaser video!
- Can’t make the date above? There will be another Disaster Volunteer Institute on May 9 in Mt. Vernon.