|Long Island Red Crossers respond to small plane crash in Bethpage. (Photo: Bruce Gronich/Facebook)|
Last Week in Review
- Early Sunday morning, the Long Island Red Cross responded to the fatal small plane crash in Bethpage by giving support to first responders and offering mental health and health services to the survivor and witnesses in the community.
- On Saturday, staff and campers of the Pierce Day Camp presented Long Island Red Cross CEO John Miller with a donation from their annual Swim-A-Cross fundraiser. Thanks to everyone at the Pierce Day Camp for your support!
- Friday was the anniversary of the 2003 East Coast Blackout. We encourage everyone to practice preparedness by taking this online preparedness course (Don’t forget to mention the Red Cross referred you).
- In a blog post, Communications Officer Michael de Vulpillieres recalled his visit to Haiti last June to one of the communities most affected by the 2010 quake to report on its progress.
- In the middle of last week, we posted a video invite by Citi to the 2015 American Red Cross Gala that will be honoring Red Cross heroes. We hope to see you there!
- On Tuesday, Metro New York North Red Cross held after action meetings with regards to the massive Peekskill fire to discuss learnings and ways to improve services.
- Regeneron held its first ever Red Cross Blood Drive on Monday at their offices. We hope there will be many more.
- Aug 18, 20: Red Cross blood drives; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- In the coming weeks, Red Cross will continue to canvass neighborhoods to teach fire safety and install free smoke alarms as part of the Home Fire Preparedness Campaign. If you are interested in a full-time leadership position to help prevent home fires in New York City, check out the following listings: Manager, Information & Planning, Lead Specialists for Brooklyn Operations and Bronx Operations.