Red Cross volunteers standing with executive staff and holding their awarded certificates of recognition.
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 129 adults and 60 children following 41 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- On Saturday, Red Cross Home Fire Campaign Volunteers were installing free smoke alarms and providing home fire safety to residents in Co-op City in spite of the heavy rain! Special thanks to our community partners!
- Hudson Valley Paw Therapy Dog Teams, who are registered Red Cross volunteers, received the Group President’s Volunteer Service Award at the West Point Volunteer Recognition Ceremony on Wednesday. Congratulations to all the volunteers for their service to the greater good!
- Daily News reported on Tuesday of a gas leak that prompted residents of five buildings to evacuate in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Red Cross responded to the scene of the gas leak.
- On Monday, Red Cross in Greater New York held their All Hands-Volunteer meeting to recognize volunteers and their heroic efforts.
- Throughout the week, Red Cross met with politicians like Senator Robert Jackson and Councilwoman Carlina Rivera to bring the Sound the Alarm program to their districts, and reach countless of families to make their communities better prepared and more resilient. Together we can #EndHomeFires.
- Do you have an Alexa-enabled device at home? Starting last week, can use Amazon Echo and other Alexa-enabled devices to schedule blood donations, learn first aid skills and get hurricane alerts. Click here to get started.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Our Summer 2019 Unpaid Internship Program is open for applications! Red Cross Internships are a rare opportunity to explore and enrich your future career prospects while serving others. Our 10-week Summer Program is open to undergraduate or graduate students. The program starts Monday, June 3. Click here to apply.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Screener, Home Fire Campaign Team Member, Disaster Action Team Member, Recovery Caseworker, Pillowcase Presenter, and Community Preparedness Education Program Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please email@example.com.
- April 23, 26, 29: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- By April 30: Comment on this post to enter to win an exclusive HBO Bleed For The Throne poster signed by Game of Thrones cast members like Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams and Liam Cunningham! Three randomly selected replies will win a signed poster that you can’t get anywhere else.
- May 1: Every day seven people die in home fires and the Red Cross wants to do everything we can to prevent these needless tragedies. Red Cross in Greater New York will be hosting Sound the Alarm events at locations in Manhattan from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Please sign up to volunteer.