|Service to the Armed Forces donated cases of personal care items to be distributed |
to three food pantries. (Photo: Association for Mental Health and Wellness)
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 93 adults and 30 children following 42 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Several Red Crossers like Maria have deployed to Louisiana and Texas ahead of Hurricanes Laura and Tropical Storm Marco.
- From over the weekend, our colleagues on the West Coast provided more than 2,300 Californians with refuge from the wildfires with emergency lodgings and meals to those in need.
- Last week, we had an incredible double header of emergency preparedness learning sessions with our wonderful friends and partners Assembly Member Ellen C. Jaffee and First Selectman Fred Camillo!
- Our team member Brian virtually deployed to support the American Red Cross Southeastern Pennsylvania Region’s response to Tropical Storm Isaias.
- On Wednesday, our Service to the Armed Forces program donated cases of personal care items to be distributed to three food pantries run by very the grateful Association for Mental Health and Wellness.
- Via a Microsoft Teams meeting, we were honored to present to David Tanis the American Red Cross Lifesaving Award for Professional Responders for his heroic actions on June 5, 2018, which helped save a life at the NY Federal Building.
- As was reported by News12 Westchester, we are on the scene of an apartment complex fire in Elmsford, providing emergency assistance to four displaced families.
- Meet Disaster Responder John Sakelos in a recent “Three Questions with…” blog post where he discussed the impact of Red Cross disaster assistance to families coping with the loss of their home in the middle of a pandemic.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Ready Red Cross Shelter Volunteer, Hurricane Season Reserve Corps. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- Aug 27: Prepare, Respond, Recover is a free virtual training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.
- Aug 27: Sheltering Volunteer Information Session covers how you can become a Sheltering Volunteer. The course allows attendees to help during an active hurricane season during the COVID-19 pandemic.