|Distributing water and supplies in Greenwich after Tropical Storm Isaias.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 72 adults and 19 children following 47 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Many thanks to our volunteers who helped distribute water and supplies to residents impacted by Tropical Storm Isaias this weekend in Greenwich.
- Watch this video about how we have adapted our work to continue delivering humanitarian assistance to residents coping with the trauma of a local disaster in the midst of the COVID-19 global pandemic.
- Lebanese Red Cross search and rescue teams are working around the clock after last week’s tragic explosion in Beirut. Triage and first aid stations around the port have also been established for those injured.
- In the aftermath of Tropical Storm Isaias, please be mindful of these safety tips on what to do during and after power outages.
- On Wednesday, the NYSE rang its opening bell in support of the American Red Cross helping people affected by Tropical Storm Isaias and many other crises.
- Earlier in the week, our interim CEO Susan Rounds was live on the PIX11 Morning News to discuss emergency preparedness and also spoke to FOX 5 NY about our need for 100s of volunteers to join our new Red Cross Hurricane Reserve Corps.
- We are seeking up to 1000 new volunteers to be part of our Hurricane Season Reserve Corps, a new team of individuals at the ready to support affected communities in the event of a major storm here in Greater NY.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Ready Red Cross Shelter Volunteer, Hurricane Season Reserve Corps. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- Aug 12, 27: Prepare, Respond, Recover is a free virtual training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.
- Aug 27: Sheltering Volunteer Information Session covers how you can become a Sheltering Volunteer, so you can help during an active hurricane season in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.