|Assemblywoman Michaelle C. Solages installing free smoke alarms |
in her community with the Long Island Red Cross.
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 188 adults and 47 children following 42 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Thank you to NY State Assemblywoman Michaelle C. Solages for partnering with our fire safety teams this weekend on Long Island.
- Last Thursday, US Congressman Hakeem Jeffries co-hosted a presentation on preparing for local emergencies and large-scale disasters in your community.
- Jennifer Bohr Cuevas shared why she wanted to volunteer as a disaster mental health worker in our latest #MyRedCrossLife post.
- Last Wednesday, the Red Cross assisted 9 families after a 4-alarm fire on Mead St in the Bronx. Red Cross provided emergency housing and financial assistance. CBS NewYork and ABC7NY reported on the fire.
- The Red Cross, with the help of the FDNY Fire Safety Education Unit, registered residents in Inwood (Manhattan) for free smoke alarm installations.
- Safe travels to Ray and many other local Red Crossers who have traveled to Kentucky to assist with tornado relief efforts.
- Last week, we posted part 2 of our podcast about the 2018 Camp Fire that destroyed the small California town of Paradise and neighboring communities in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
- Check out some highlights from this past year showing how your generosity has enabled our volunteers and staff to make a difference for tens of thousands of people near and far.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Dec 23: As an opportunity to give gift back this holiday season, join the Red Cross at a blood drive at the Red Cross office in Hawthorne, NY.
- Are you ready to turn your compassion into action? As a Disaster Casework volunteer, you will connect directly with people affected by disasters big and small to help them take the next steps in their recovery. Sign up here.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.