GNY Red Cross Interim CEO Celena Sarillo went on the Pix11 Morning Show to encourage blood donations.
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 174 adults and 44 children following 39 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- On Sunday, ABC 7 and CBS 2 covered our aid of nearly two dozen families who were displaced by a Brooklyn apartment fire.
- Over the weekend, in her column in The Greenwich Sentinel, Stephanie Dunn Ashley highlighted a speech that Red Cross volunteer Ashley Flowers gave at our Metro New York North chapter headquarters in Greenwich, stressing the importance of blood donations to those living with sickle cell disease.
- Pedro the Preparedness Penguin visited PS 96 on Tuesday for the Hispanic Heritage Month family festival where he shared about how to prepare for disasters big and small.
- Diligent donor Sam Friedman shared why he loves to donate blood at every opportunity.
- Bronx Assemblymember George Alvarez recorded a PSA (in both English and Spanish) for the Red Cross’ Sound the Alarm campaign to end home fires.
- We posted a story about volunteer Ray Robledo, who has been deploying to national-level disasters for three decades including a return to Guam for the recent Typhoon Mawar.
- Interim CEO for Greater NY Celena Sarillo joined the PIX 11 Morning Show to talk about the ongoing blood shortage.
- On Monday, Brooklyn Assemblymember Brian Cunningham aided our team in installing smoke alarms in his community.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Sept 30: At our In Person NYC Open House, we will discuss our open volunteer positions, answer questions and assist with the volunteer application process.
- Oct 7: Together with the City of Mount Vernon, we will be hosting a Prepare the Town event for the community.
- Oct 15: We hope to see you for a day of fun at Long Island Family Day! Our teams will be there to share important safety information and teach Hands Only CPR.
- Oct 26: This fall, we will recognize heroic individuals and compassionate leaders who embody our humanitarian mission at the Long Island Heroes Celebration. Join us for an evening of cocktails, fine dining, and music, as well as one-of-a-kind auction items.