Over the last seven days, the Red Cross in Greater New York has provided emergency assistance to 186 adults and 75 children following 46 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
Last Week in Review
- Our volunteers gathered for a Shelter Simulation last Saturday to hone their skills setting up and managing an emergency shelter.
- Last Friday, CBS New York, NY Post and News 12 reported the Red Cross provided 8 families with emergency housing, financial assistance, comfort items, water, and snacks following a fire on Holland Ave in the Bronx.
- We posted this clip of NYPD First Deputy Commissioner Tania Kinsella from the Women Who Serve America event earlier in November.
- We started our “Year in Review of 2023” with these two photographs: Closing NASDAQ and Visit to Albany for Advocacy Day
- Last Tuesday, Disaster Volunteers held tabletop exercises to better prepare for rising severe weather disasters due to the climate crisis.
- If you couldn’t attend the “We Were There: 9/11” Panel Discussion, we posted the full program here.
- Huge thank you to our amazing volunteers who were recognized at the Fall Harvest Volunteer celebration.
- We posted more photos of Red Cross Veterans and our Metro NY North Board members and volunteers marching in the annual Greenwich Veterans Day Parade and American Legion Veterans Day Ceremony.
- Nov 29: Join us for a special event to benefit the American Red Cross Metro NY North chapter at Pologeorgis Greenwich. 10% from the sales of our new luxury outerwear collection from Nov 29th until Dec 9th will benefit the Red Cross.📲 RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dec 2 (Rescheduled): At Prepare the Town: Mount Vernon, the American Red Cross and the City of Mount Vernon want to help prepare you and your community for emergencies, including home fires. Join us for free giveaways, demonstrations, veterans' resources, and other safety activities!
- Dec 2: Red Cross Board Member in MNYN and Greenwich Police Chief Jim Heavey is challenging the community to schedule 100 new appointments to donate blood in honor of his 100th blood donation, hosting a Battle of the Badges Blood Drive in Greenwich, Conn. Go to redcrossblood.org and enter the sponsor code: GREENPOLICE or schedule a BloodLink appointment at another time using this link.
- Dec 9: Red Cross volunteers will be tabling at the City of White Plains Volunteer & Wellness Festival from 12p to 4p at The Westchester (4th Floor), 125 Westchester Avenue. Come say hello!