|The Belgian Red Cross at the scene of March 22 bombings in Brussels.|
Last Week in Review
- Weather Red is the new weekly Red Cross segment on the Weather channel. This Sunday, Weather Red reported on the Red Cross’ response to flooding in the U.S. South.
- Also on Easter, the Red Cross provided shelter and aid to two families displaced by a fire in Staten Island. the SI Advance reported on the response.
- This weekend the “Red Cross Pack”, a therapy dog team from Greater NY, visited Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, lending their paws to give a morale boost to veterans.
- On Saturday the Red Cross was at the scene of a fire in Washington Heights. The NY Daily News reported on the incident and our response.
- On Wednesday the Islip Bulletin highlighted this year’s Long Island Red Cross disaster cycle services award winner, Joyce Weaver, with a profile on her mental-health volunteer work.
- On Tuesday the New York Red Cross presented our first Community Champion award to the non-profit Friends of Rockaway, who have been helping communities in Queens.
- Following the horrific bombings in Brussels last week our Red Cross family in Belgium (the Belgian Red Cross) mobilized nearly 400 volunteers for response to this tragedy.
- Red Crossers from across the U.S. have been hard at work aiding communities affected by flooding in the south. We recently had a chat with one of our own volunteers, Debbie Hayden, who deployed to Louisiana last week.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Mar 30, 31: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Apr 1-3: The Greater New York Red Cross is holding a 3-day Disaster Response Institute this weekend. Click here for more information on the event.
- Apr 2: Metro New York North will be holding its annual Red and White Ball. It promises to be a great time! You can find out more here.
- Apr 6: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to the Melrose section of the Bronx next week. Volunteer to help out or sign up to get your own free smoke alarm installation.
- Apr 9: Red Cross’s Home Fire Preparedness Campaign is coming to Hempstead, Long Island. Volunteer to help out or sign up to get your own free smoke alarm installation.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.