|NY State Senator Stewart-Cousins (left) and Metro New York North Red Cross CEO Mary Young (right) |
at Yonkers Home Fire Preparedness Campaign event.
Last Week in Review
- Throughout the week, Red Crossers from across the country have been providing immediate relief to residents of Houston impacted by historic flooding there.
- Last Sunday, Red Crossers helped several families displaced by a massive fire on Arlington Rd. in Brooklyn. See NY1 coverage of the blaze.
- Also on Sunday, Red Cross volunteers manned tables to distribute information about Red Cross services at the Staten Island Classic Car Show and at an Ecuador Earthquake Benefit in Queens.
- Working with NY State Senator Stewart-Cousins, Red Cross volunteers and partners installed free smoke alarms in Yonkers on Saturday. Check out the Journal News coverage of the event (paid login required).
- Long-time Red Cross volunteer Howard Moi shared why he joined the Red Cross in our latest #MyRedCrossLife Instagram post.
- Last Thursday, on Red Cross Giving Day, our organization was able to raise over $2.5 million to #Help1Family. A massive “THANK YOU” to anyone who donated.
- Greater New York CEO Josh Lockwood sat down with NY1 reporter Tar Lynn Wagner and NBC4’s Natalie Pasquarella to help kick-off Giving Day.
- Prior to the start of Giving Day, What’s Trending and other media partners held a Tubeathon to help benefit the Red Cross and Red Cross volunteers appeared on the Today Show Plaza.
- The Times Beacon Record profiled sibling Red Crossers Joe and Lori-Ann Spaccarelli and all the important work they do with the Home Fire Safety Campaign.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Calling all golf lovers! Barclays is looking for support at the PGA tour playoffs this summer from August 23-28 in Farmingdale, LI. Signing up gets you full admission to the tournament for you and a guest. Learn more about this great opportunity. Don't forget to select American Red Cross as your affiliation when you register!
- Apr 26, 28: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- April 30: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to St. Albans Queens. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- May 4: For weeks now, Star Wars: Force for Change has been raising money for good causes (the Red Cross is a beneficiary). There are many fun weekly challenges leading up to Star Wars “May the 4th Be With You” Day.
- May 7, 14: The Citizen Preparedness Corps (CPC) is looking for more trainers and is holding presenter training sessions on May 7 and 14. If you are a interested Red Cross volunteer, please email email@example.com.