The Hunter College Red Cross Club and Red Cross Volunteers installing smoke alarms in the Bronx.
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 63 adults and 43 children following 37 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Last week was the first #heatwave of the summer. This week's Weather Channel #WeatherRed Report focused on how to keep your pets safe during the summer months.
- #GetAlarmedNYC was in the Wakefield section of the Bronx this Saturday. Thank you to the Hunter College Red Cross Club and all the other volunteers who helped install 500+ smoke alarms!
- On Saturday Paul Mauro, Red Cross Community Ambassador, gave a briefing to Army Reservists and their families about Red Cross programs available to them. Attendees also learned about blood donations, emergency preparedness and home fire safety.
- Konrad Aderer, reporter for NET TV's Currents New York program, came to the Red Cross on Friday to talk about staying safe amid the heat wave.
- Metro NY North volunteers from our Service to the Armed Forces program visited the United States Military Academy at West Point to reconnect with many of the individuals they serve.
- We recently celebrated Jean Watkins for 75 years of Red Cross service. On Thursday we released a follow-up article about Jean’s service.
- Hope Starts Here hosted board member John Osborn, President and CEO of BBDO New York, to speak about service on Wednesday.
- Early last week we posted a blog story about a recent pool safety segment on Fox 5's Good Day NY.
- Andrew Sindell is one of several Greater NY Red Cross staff members deployed to West Virginia to assist with the relief efforts for victims of the flooding. Andrew left NY on Thursday.
- In our latest #MyRedCrossLife Instagram profile, volunteer Amanda Barone Claudio discusses her experience volunteering with the home fire preparedness campaign.
- July 12, 13 & 16: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- July 16: Red Cross will be at the Go Africa Harlem Street Festival, at 116th street between 7th and 8th Ave., to discuss our Restoring Family Links program.
- July 16: The Home Fire Preparedness Campaign will be in Massapequa and Farmingdale (Long Island). Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- July 23: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to Lower East Side, Manhattan. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.