|Long Island Red Cross Volunteers recognized for their excellence. (Photo: Catherine de Silva)|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 174 adults and 42 children following 57 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Our CEO Josh Lockwood made an appearance on this week’s Weather Red Report. Josh focused on cold weather and storm safety tips right before the #Blizzardof2017.
- This past Saturday, about 120 people gathered at the Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury to honor outstanding Long Island Red Cross volunteers. Newsday reported on the event.
- Early Saturday morning and throughout the day, Metro NY North Red Crossers provided care, comfort and compassion following a massive fire in an apartment complex in Spring Valley. Lohud.com reported on our response to the blaze.
- Last Thursday, Diahann Billings-Burford, from Red Cross partner Time Inc., stopped by our office to provide words of wisdom to our staff.
- Last Wednesday, the New York City, Long Island and Metro New York North Red Cross Chapters honored our founder Clara Barton on International Women's Day.
- Throughout the week we continued to share the story of Harlem artist Danese Smalls by posting this video on Facebook.
- At the request of Orange County Emergency Officials on Tuesday, the Red Cross provided canteen services to the more than 100 first responders following a train derailment in Newburgh.
- The Greenwich Time published a great story about our upcoming fundraising gala for Metro NY North.
- Last Monday, Long Island Red Cross volunteers taught emergency preparedness to Girl Scouts at Polk Street Elementary in Franklin Square via the Pillowcase Project.
On the same day, Metro NY North volunteers were on scene in White Plains to assist nine adults displaced by a fire earlier that afternoon.
- Mar 15, 16, 20: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Mar 15: The Empire State Building will be lit red and white at sundown in honor of Red Cross Month. Please post a selfie and mention @redcrossny.
- Mar 23: Please join us at the American Red Cross for a panel discussion, HEALTH CARE IN DANGER - Violence Against Medical Assistance in Armed Conflict, featuring a distinguished group of panelists. This event is part of an international public awareness campaign spearheaded by the International Committee of the Red Cross in 2011 to address this violence and ensure safe access to and delivery of health care in armed conflict and other emergencies. RSVP here today.
- Mar 25: On this Saturday, the Red Cross will be holding our "Share the Red" Open-House. Everyone is welcome to attend this event to celebrate Red Cross Month and to learn more about how you can become a volunteer. RSVP today.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.