Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 89 adults and 41 children following 49 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Not only were our volunteers making Staten Island safer by installing free smoke alarms on Saturday, but we also got to surprise one of our finest volunteers Vivian Moy with a birthday cake!
- On Friday, the Red Cross recognized our volunteers from West Point for their outstanding work.
- In celebrating World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day this past Monday, May 8, we posted this special message from our CEO on our blog.
- During National Nurses Week from May 6 to 12, the Greater New York Red Cross also celebrated the contributions of more than 20,000 nurses and nursing students throughout the United States who serve the Red Cross in many different capacities. We highlighted some of their efforts on our blog here.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- May 16, 17, 19: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- June 10: The 2017 Full-Scale Exercise American Red Cross of Greater New York's regional opportunity to test and train to our current plans, policies, and procedures for serving our clients in a large-scale Disaster Relief Operation. We are looking for volunteer actors to play the roles as survivors in a shelter. Please complete this form if you are interested in participating in the Full-Scale Exercise as an actor.
- June 15: The American Red Cross on Long Island will celebrate 100 years of service to the Long Island community and recognize heroes from the community who embody the spirit of the Red Cross at its Centennial Celebration Gala on June 15, 2017, at the Nassau Country Club in Glen Cove, NY.
- Aug 22-27: Do you like to volunteer? Do you like golf? If so, have we got an opportunity for you! Sign up today to volunteer at THE NORTHERN TRUST at Glen Oaks Club in Old Westbury, NY 8/22-8/27. For $75 you gain daily access to the tournament for you and a guest, a logoed polo shirt & baseball cap, and much more. Plus, your efforts will support the mission of the American Red Cross. Learn more here.