|American Red Cross Greater NY provided assistance to the NYRR Airbnb Brooklyn Half Marathon. (Photo: Oonagh Turrito)|
Last Week in Review
- Early Sunday morning Red Cross teams provided temporary housing and emergency relief to several families displaced by a multiple-alarm fire on Staten Island.
- On Saturday morning our LI Red Cross CEO Neela M Lockel was on 103.9FM with volunteer Craig Cooper to discuss the Long Island Red Cross and its Centennial events.
- On Saturday the Red Cross Home Fire team on Long Island installed over 90 smoke alarms.
- On Saturday the Red Cross provided first aid assistance at the NYRR Airbnb Brooklyn Half Marathon.
- On Friday, long-time Service to the Armed Forces volunteers Doreen Brienza and Margaret Sukhram attended the Northport VA "Stand Down" resource fair and handed out over 200 "Totes of Hope" kits to veterans!
- Earlier in the week the American Red Cross Metro New York North Chapter posted a video about the Hero Award winners—Anthony Sadler, Spencer Stone and Alek Skarlatos—highlighting their inspiring efforts to stop a terrorist aboard a train bound for Paris from Brussels in late 2015.
- On Thursday our Director of Government and Community Relations John Waldman shared what it was like to take an all-day certification course in Adult & Pediatric First Aid. Find classes near you!
- On Wednesday Red Cross shared its customized volunteering quiz. Ever wonder what volunteer position is right for you? Take our quiz to find out!
- On Tuesday the Ikea on Long Island distributed Care Kits to the Red Cross to be given to local residents left homeless by disasters.
- We highlighted the Red Cross Hero Care app, where members of the military, veterans & their families can access important resources (iOS/ Android.)
- Monday was International Water Safety Day and the Red Cross provided safety tips from our partner, Diversity in Aquatics.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- May 19, 23, 25: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- June 10: The 2017 Full-Scale Exercise, American Red Cross in Greater New York's regional opportunity to test and train our current plans, policies, and procedures for serving our clients in a large-scale Disaster Relief Operation. We are looking for volunteer actors to play the roles as survivors in a shelter. Please complete this form if you are interested in participating in the Full-Scale Exercise as an actor.
- June 15: The American Red Cross on Long Island will celebrate 100 years of service to the Long Island community and recognize heroes from the community who embody the spirit of the Red Cross at its Centennial Celebration Gala on June 15, 2017, at the Nassau Country Club in Glen Cove, NY.
- Aug 22-27: Do you like to volunteer? Do you like golf? If so, have we got an opportunity for you! Sign up today to volunteer at THE NORTHERN TRUST at Glen Oaks Club in Old Westbury, NY 8/22-8/27. For $75 you gain daily access to the tournament for you and a guest, a logoed polo shirt & baseball cap, and much more. Plus, your efforts will support the mission of the American Red Cross. Learn more here.