|World Humanitarian Day 2017 paid tribute to
aid workers who risk their lives to help others.
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 139 adults and 64 children following 52 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- On Sunday, the Weather Channel’s weekly Red Cross segment, the Weather Red Report, featured tips for safe eclipse viewing.
- World Humanitarian Day was celebrated across the globe last Saturday. The annual tribute recognized aid workers who risk their lives to help others. One of the photos the United Nations used to mark the occasion was taken a few years ago by Greater NY Red Crosser Marko Kokic.
- This weekend Metro NY North Red Cross volunteers took part in some summer fun at the Grahamsville Little World's Fair in Sullivan County.
- Earlier in the week, our External Affairs team met with US Representative Yvette Clarke and Assembly member Rodneyse Bichotte, respectively, to discuss next month’s Sound the Alarm, Save a Life initiative. Rep. Clarke and Assembly member Bichotte are two of many Champions of this campaign.
- More eclipse safety! Our friends at Good Morning America stopped by our office on Tuesday to chat with Greater NY CEO Josh Lockwood about staying safe while traveling to and viewing the eclipse.
- Throughout the week, several Red Cross Sound the Alarm Champions, including NY State Senator Hon. Gustavo Rivera and Mt. Vernon Mayor Richard Thomas, urged NYers to join our fire safety efforts.
- On Monday, Univision visited our Greater NY HQ to talk about the importance of learning CPR.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- 7x a day, someone in the U.S. dies in a home fire. Help #EndHomeFires by joining Sound the Alarm. Save a Life, a series of home fire safety and smoke alarm installation events. In addition to installing smoke alarms, there’s also a new way to help: peer-to-peer fundraising on CrowdRise! To join the team, click on your Red Cross chapter: Greater NY, Long Island, Metro NY North
- Aug 21-22, 24, and 26: Red Cross weekday blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. (weekends 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Aug 22-27: Do you like to volunteer? Do you like golf? If so, have we got an opportunity for you! Sign up today to volunteer at THE NORTHERN TRUST at Glen Oaks Club in Old Westbury, NY. For $75, you gain daily access to the tournament for you and a guest, a logoed polo shirt and baseball cap, and much more. Plus, your efforts will support the mission of the American Red Cross. Learn more here.
- Nov 5: There are still limited amount of spots available on Team Red Cross to run the TCS NYC Marathon. Not only do you get to cross running the marathon off your bucket list, but you also get to run for an organization that's devoted to helping people who need help the most. You can register now at redcross.org/2017NYCMarathon.