Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, NY1 aired an interview on their “In Focus” show with our very own Josh Lockwood and City Councilman Chaim Deutsch. The segment highlighted the importance of getting smoke detectors in every NYC residence and other fire safety topics like escape plans and space heaters.
- On Saturday, our Home Fire Preparedness team installed free smoke alarms and provided fire safety education to the seniors of the Springvale Apartments in Croton-On-Hudson.
- On Friday, with help from NY State Assemblyman Luis Sepulveda, the Red Cross and FDNY provided fire safety education and signed up members of Community Board 9 in the Bronx for free smoke alarm installations.
- The Red Cross and community partners like Tzu Chi New York and NYC Council Member Margaret Chin provided emergency housing and other services to 20+ families after a 5-story building in Chinatown was vacated.
- On Thursday, our Community Preparedness Team taught 3,000 students of Midwood High School life-saving emergency preparedness skills.
- New 12 Brooklyn reported on a fire in Sunset Park, Brooklyn where Senator Jesse Hamilton gratitude for the assistance the Red Cross provided to those residents impacted by the fire.
- On Monday, News 12 Bronx highlighted our extraordinary disaster relief efforts in this report: “Red Cross assists hundreds in 1 month in NYC”
- Long-time Red Cross photographer Marko Kokic accompanied volunteers on a disaster ride-along earlier in the month right after a major snow storm. You can see a gallery of his amazing and insightful photos from that evening here.
- Special thanks to volunteers and cadets of West Point for making our 4-day blood drive there a success.
- Former NYC Mayor Dinkins, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer and Pastor Al Taylor all stopped by our Sound the Alarm tabling event at the Convent Ave Baptist Church on MLK day to show their support.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Jan 23, 26, 27, 29: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Feb 10: Sound the Alarm. Save a Life. fire prevention event will be in Manhattan. To schedule a future free smoke alarm installation and/or to volunteer to help make your community safer, please visit soundthealarm.org/nyc.