|Long Island Red Cross volunteers installing free smoke alarms in Plainview after a fatal fire. (Photo: Lori-Ann Pizzarelli)
Last Week in Review
- Our hearts go out to those who lost loved ones in a fatal fire Sunday in Plainview. Thank you to the dedicated Red Cross volunteers who came out yesterday to assist the family and to help install 35 smoke alarms in the community.
- The husband and wife volunteer duo of Ed and Peggy Byrne taught Shelter Operations training to nearly 20 of our newest volunteers over the weekend.
- On Saturday, ABC7NY aired its annual fire safety special “Operation 7: Save A Life” where our signature, Disney-sponsored children's emergency preparedness program The Pillowcase Project program was featured prominently in the second half of part 2.
- Long Island Red Cross volunteers were up late on Friday in the freezing cold serving hot drinks to emergency workerss at a 4-alarm fire in Old Westbury.
- On Friday our Mass Care Manager on Long Island Eli Russ was featured in the Mamaroneck section of the Daily Voice.
- Volunteer Services held a Volunteer Appreciation Lunch for volunteers who recently deployed to Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, USVI and California.
- On Wednesday, National Grid teamed up with the Red Cross to install free smoke alarms in the Rockaways. See press release here.
- Also on Wednesday, we announced a long-term partnership with Win (formerly, Women In Need) to bring The Pillowcase Project to the homeless youth who reside in Win's centers. Watch a video of the special kickoff event.
- On Tuesday, FOX5NY and ABC7NY reported on our response to a 3-alarm fire in the Bronx where we assisted 32 adults and 16 children who were displaced from the blaze.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Jan 30, Feb 2, 3, 5: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Jan 31: Interesting panel this week in NYC highlighting some very relevant issues: Humanitarianism in an Inhuman Era
- Feb 10: Sound the Alarm. Save a Life. fire prevention event will be in Manhattan. To schedule a future free smoke alarm installation and/or to volunteer to help make your community safer, please visit soundthealarm.org/nyc.