Since last Wednesday’s tragedy in Parkland, FL, the Red Cross
has worked alongside partners to offer comfort and care.
Last Week in Review
- Since last week’s tragedy in Parkland, FL, the Red Cross has worked closely with emergency officials to offer comfort and support to the community and to the loved ones of those who have been harmed. As part of this response, the Red Cross has deployed trained mental-health and spiritual-care volunteers. Click here for more info on our work in Broward County, FL and for coping and preparedness tips. Our hearts go out to all those who are affected.
- On Sunday, one of our Long Island volunteers joined the Red Cross team in Florida to support families, students and first responders.
- Over the weekend, our teams were in Lower Manhattan providing fire safety education and signing up residents for free smoke alarm installations.
- Thursday, the NY Times ran an emergency preparedness piece with some great insight from our NYC partners.
- Also on Thursday, our Interim CEO Rosie Taravella was invited to speak at the 4th annual Construction and Development Forum during which she presented our Home Fire Campaign to construction industry leaders.
- February 14 marked the 200th birthday of Frederick Douglas. To celebrate the occasion, our Red Cross friends in Washington, DC shared a blog post highlighting his contributions to the Red Cross.
- Also on Valentine’s Day, we partnered with Primrose Elementary School in Somers to honor the legacy of Stephanie Crispinelli. Crispinelli, a graduate of Primrose, lost her life at the age 19 during the 2010 Haiti Earthquake while on a humanitarian mission. Every year on Valentine’s Day (her birthday) since the tragedy, the Red Cross and the Stephanie Crispinelli Foundation engage the children at the school to build comfort kits for families affected by local disasters.
- On Tuesday, as New Yorkers cheered on their favorite pups competing at the annual Westminster Dog Show, we shared a few tips on how to keep our pets safe and prepared this winter.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- If you’re a mission-focused undergraduate or graduate college student seeking a meaningful internship experience, then apply to our Red Cross Program—a rare opportunity to explore and enrich your future career prospects while serving others. Apply here.
- February 19, 20 and 23: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- February 24: We will partner with the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and FDNY Foundation to help "Sound the Alarm" by installing free smoke alarms in the Bronx. Learn more by clicking here.