|TV anchor Ashleigh Banfield and Red Cross board member goes on a disaster ride-along.|
Last Week in Review
- While installing free smoke alarms out in Freeport over the weekend, Long Island Red Cross volunteers discovered a gas leak during a routine visit and promptly alerted the authorities, preventing what could have been terrible disaster. Good work team!
- On Saturday, the Greenwich Police Department hosted its annual “Battle of the Badges” Blood Drive, a friendly competition between the local police, EMS and fire departments.
- We posted this touching story written by Red Cross volunteer Vivian Moy on our blog. Vivian just returned home from her deployment to Northern California supporting Red Cross response to the Camp Fire.
- On Thursday, the Metro New York North Red Cross hosted a holiday-themed all-hands party for volunteers.
- Thanks to Greenwich Hospital for hosting Holiday Mail for Heroes. So many wonderful messages of thanks were written for our active military and veterans.
- Like his fellow NYC Council Member Robert Holden, Council Member Andrew Cohen showed his support for our Sound the Alarm program by taping a PSA as we are about to embark on a major service delivery partnership in his district to help end home fires.
- The Long Island Red Cross Board of Directors came together for an evening to celebrate a year of successes.
- TV anchor extraordinaire and Red Cross volunteer/board member Ashleigh Banfield joined a disaster ride-along and worked alongside our Red Cross response teams in NYC, supporting displaced families by fires and other disasters.
- Following a 3-alarm fire late Tuesday on Grand Concourse in the Bronx, Red Cross registered 16 families, offering a range of assistance including temporary housing and emergency funds.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Screener, Disaster Action Team Member, Recruitment Support Member, Mass Care Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- Dec 11, 14, 17: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- Dec 13: Join the Red Cross Young Patrons at their Holiday Soirée: a night of conversation, drinks, live music and general holiday cheer at the beautiful and historic Players Club in Gramercy Park. To purchase tickets, click here!
- Jan 13: The American Red Cross is heading to the #Bronx to install FREE smoke alarms and provide fire safety information to area residents. Sign up today for your FREE smoke alarm by calling 877-REDCROSS or visiting soundthealarm.org/NYC.
- Apr 15: Would you like to run the Boston Marathon for a good cause? Join the American Red Cross Runners on a Mission at the 2019 Boston Marathon. Be a part of our team and run to help deliver hope to those in their greatest time of need. Apply on our website: www.redcross.org/teamredcrossboston or email firstname.lastname@example.org.