|Sound the Alarm comes to Yonkers with volunteers, community partners and elected officials. (Photo: Matt LaMonica)|
Last Week in Review
- Sound the Alarm May push continues:
- Almost 200 volunteers, community partners and elected officials converged onto Yonkers to install free life-saving smoke alarms on Saturday. Check out more amazing photographs of the day from volunteer photographers Matt LaMonica and Enid Alvarez.
- STA Champion Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins got hands-on installing smoke alarms for her constituents in Yonkers.
- On Friday, the Long Island Red Cross returned to Hauppauge and other parts of Long Island for another round of smoke alarm installations.
- Thanks to Newsday for helping us to share important information regarding our work to #EndHomeFires on Long Island with Suffolk County Executive Steven Bellone.
- Video highlights from May 1 Kick-Off outside of our HQ in Hell’s Kitchen.
- Mayor Mike Spano signed on to become the latest STA Champion. Watch his PSA here.
- With Hurricane season almost here once again, our community presenters taught Pillowcase Project emergency preparedness to the children of PS 272 in Canarsie.
- Early Wednesday morning in Harlem, our hearts went out to the family who lost six family members, including four children in an apartment fire. Responders provided emergency assistance to displaced residents while others fanned out to provide fire safety information and offered to install free smoke alarms to neighbors.
- Our Logistics Team made sure our warehouse supplies are stocked and ready to assist the animal pet population during disasters.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Screener, Home Fire Campaign Team Member, Disaster Action Team Member, Recovery Caseworker, Pillowcase Presenter. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please email@example.com.
- May 17, 20: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- June 6: Join us for an extraordinary evening at the Long Island Red Cross Gala – Heroes Among Us! For over 100 years the American Red Cross on Long Island has helped the community prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. Get your tickets here.
- June 13: Please join the Red Cross Young Patrons for 'An Evening Under the Stars', a summer rooftop soiree to support the Red Cross, featuring an open bar, dinner, and live music. Doors open at 7pm. Get your tickets here.
- June 17-23: Travel to Solferino, Italy for a Historic Red Cross Celebration! For the first time, an unofficial, self-funded delegation of American Red Cross volunteers and staff from the United States will journey to Solferino to take part in this annual event that includes a battle reenactment, musical entertainment, special speakers, a learning academy, a youth conference, group events and guided tours. If you’re interested in traveling to Solferino as part of this group, please ‘like’ and ‘follow’ the American Red Cross Solferino2019 Facebook page or visit the American Red Cross Solferino website, where you can find detailed information about registering.