|Red Cross volunteer Nick Montoro of Syosset, has been in Louisiana since Aug. 28 |
helping the community recover from Hurricane Laura.
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 92 adults and 25 children following 39 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, NY Newsday ran an article, “LI volunteers lend a hand after Hurricane Laura in Louisiana,” featuring great volunteers like Nick Montoro and Eileen Saccoccio. Nick shared a story from the ground for our Greater NY social media pages.
- Last Monday, Red Cross volunteers rolled up their sleeves once again to pack and load thousands of pounds of fresh produce to distribute to Westchester families, children and seniors that in need of extra help.
- We kicked off National Preparedness Month with this educational Prepare, Respond, Recover presentation co-hosted by State Senator Kevin Parker, New York State Assembly Member Rodneyse Bichotte, and NY City Council Member Farah N. Louis.
- Still need help building an Emergency Preparedness Kit (AKA Go-Bag) for National Preparedness Month? We've got you covered with this video.
- Two weeks ago, over the course of four days, American Red Cross volunteers assisted those giving the gift of life by providing refreshments and escorting donors at a blood drive at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Ready Red Cross Shelter Volunteer, Hurricane Season Reserve Corps. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- Sept 10, 16, 22, 24: Prepare, Respond, Recover is a free virtual training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.
- Sept 15: NYC Emergency Management is holding a virtual pets and service animals preparedness event. Hear from the ASPCA, the Guide Dog Foundation, and our Red Cross colleague Roxana Petzold about how to include your pet or service animal in your family preparedness plan.
- Sep 16: Sheltering Volunteer Information Session covers how you can become a Sheltering Volunteer. The course allows attendees to help during an active hurricane season during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.