|Celebrating volunteer Margaret Sukhram for International Nurses Day.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 77 adults and 26 children following 43 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- May is all about celebrating nurses! As part of our “Three Questions” blog series, we profiled longtime volunteer, and nurse practitioner, Margaret Sukhram. Wednesday, we celebrated International Nurses Day!
- Earlier this week Red Crosser Melissa Comeau, shared some life tips for all the caregivers out there.
- Our very own Maria Anguiano was among several volunteers who received a certificate of recognition for their continued service to the Red Cross and NY, as part of the Mayoral Service Recognition Program!
- We raised over $600 through our Sound the Alarm fundraiser last week, which will help families prepare for, respond to and recover from home fires across the country.
- Last week we also profiled Disaster Mental Health Volunteer Doug McNally on our blog.
- Two weeks ago, the Long Island Red Cross supported the thousands of police officers who came to pay their respects to fallen NYPD Hwy 3 PO Anastasios Tsakos at his funeral in Greenlawn, NY. The Long Island Red Cross provided canteen services in two staging areas with volunteers & ERVs.
- Patch.com reported on how the Red Cross assisted a displaced family following a fire in Glen Cove, Long Island on May 8.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Youth Preparedness Volunteer and Mental Health Volunteer. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also recruiting for a Full Time Logistics Lead Specialist Position on Long Island.
- May 19: Sign up for our virtual event--Tiffany Circle of Women Leaders: A Conversation Series--discussing a Vision of a Post-COVID-19 New York for Non-Profits and Businesses. The event features Katytn Wylde, President, Partnership of New York City interviewed by Tamsen Fadal from PIX11 News.
- May 20: Learn about how you can volunteer with a non-profit organization. Our own Andrew Sindell will be part of a panel discussion. Sign-up using this link!
- Jun 8: Sign up for our virtual event--Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes and Hands Only CPR--a free training, co-hosted by NY State Senator Alexis Weik, on what you and your community can do when an emergency occurs.