Fairview Fire Department installed over 300 free fire alarms in 4 days.
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 86 adults and 30 children following 42 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- This past week, the American Red Cross in Greater NY set a goal to fundraise $2021 to support our Sound the Alarm campaign to #EndHomeFires, our nation’s most frequent disaster.
- Last week in partnership with the American Red Cross, the Fairview Fire Department installed over 300 free smoke alarms in just four days as a part of our Sound the Alarm effort to #EndHomeFires.
- On Thursday, our volunteers assisted a family of 5, providing financial assistance, emergency housing and more, following a home fire in Brooklyn.
- On Sunday, we shared that we are working alongside the Greenwich Fire Department this month to help #EndHomeFires by installing free smoke alarms in Greenwich, CT.
- Over the weekend, we shared the NFL Auction page where you can bid on Super Bowl tickets, signed memorabilia and more to support the Red Cross mission, as part of our #HeroesForHumanity virtual event.
- On Wednesday, we shared Red Cross President & CEO Gail McGovern’s story about the life-changing experience getting her COVID-19 vaccination and how the moment left her feeling reassured and safe.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Youth Preparedness Volunteer and Mental Health Volunteer. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 4: From the Death Star to Ewok treatment of POWs, join the American Red Cross as we celebrate Star Wars Day by exploring some of the biggest International Humanitarian Law issues in the galaxy far far away. Register here. Questions? Email IHLyouth@redcross.org
- May 5: Attend our Volunteer Information Session to learn about our open volunteer opportunities and how you can save lives by joining our team.
- May 5: Sign up for our virtual event Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes, a free training, co-hosted by Congressman Bowman, on what you and your community can do when an emergency occurs.